Prep 30 mins
Cook 15 mins
Found this in my search for Carribean recipes
Make and share this Jamaican Beef Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped scallion
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- hot sauce (preferably Jamaican)
- 30 wonton wrappers
- Cook scallion, onion, curry powder, and thyme in 1 1/2 tablespoons oil with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in beef and bread crumbs and cook until meat is just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Season with hot sauce. Cool.
- Put a rounded teaspoon filling in center of a wrapper. Lightly brush edge of wrapper with water, then fold in half (diagonally if square) and press to seal. Form remaining dumplings.
- Heat 1 inch oil to 350°F in a 12-inch skillet. Fry dumplings in 3 batches, turning once or twice, until golden-brown, 2 to 3 minutes per batch.
The filling has a very excellent flavor. I cooked up about half the recipe in the wonton wrappers tonight. However, it's so good, I think I'm going to eat it with some rice tomorrow. Thanks for a great meal. ZWT5
These dumplings were excellent. My DD actually said they weren't just good but they were really good. Enough so that she went back for seconds. That is rare she asks for seconds. The flavor was Delicious. I had picked up some Jamaican mango pepper sauce when I was in Jamaica in March, and this is what I used. I did the recipe exactly as it is written , I don't think there is anything I would of changed. I did deep fry mine though instead of oil in a skillet. I served them with my fruit chutney. This recipe will definitely be made again and again. Made for the ZWT5 '09. Thanks for a great recipe Boo Chef