Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a good and easy soup to make. I got this from Giada De Laurentiis on the Food Network.
- 1 small onion, grated
- 1⁄3 cup chopped Italian parsley
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 slice white bread, crust removed
- cut in small bread cubes
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 8 ounces ground beef
- fresh ground pepper
- 12 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lb curly endive lettuce (can use escarole)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons freshly ground parmesan cheese
- parmesan cheese, if desired (to garnish)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Stir onion, parsley, egg, minced garlic, salt, and bread cubes in a large bowl to blend.
- Stir in cheese, beef, and pork; shape into 1 inch meatballs and place on baking sheet.
- In large pot bring chicken broth to boil over medium-high heat.
- Add meatballs and endive.
- Simmer until meatballs are cooked and endive is tender, about 8 minutes (I had to cook mine a little longer).
- Whisk the eggs and cheese in medium bowl to blend.
- Stir the soup in a circular motion.
- Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth. Stir gently with fork to form thin strands of eggs, about 1 minute.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowl.
- Finish soup with parmesan cheese, if desired.