Traditionally this soup is served at Italian weddings, but my family made it every time we wanted to feel the "love". This reminds me of my Italian (Scavo / Rotella) family recipe.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 8 ounces ground pork
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb escarole, coarsely chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- In a large bowl stir together first 6 ingredients.
- Stir in cheese and bread crumbs.
- Mix in meats with your hands.
- Roll into 1 inch meatballs (about 75).
- Place on baking sheet.
- Bring broth to a boil in a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add meatballs and escarole and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Whisk eggs and cheese in a bowl; then add to soup slowly stirring with a fork to form thin strands of egg about 1 minute.
- Season with salt and pepper.