Olive Garden Italian Wedding Soup
photo by haleyconrad
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- olive oil, for frying
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 quarts beef stock, boiling
- 1 lb fresh spinach (washed, stemmed and drained)
- 1⁄2 lb pastina or 1/2 lb orzo pasta
- salt, to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, nutmeg and 1/4 cup onion. Add the egg and ground meats and blend well with your hands. Shape into little meatballs, about 3/4 inch to one inch in diameter.
- Brown them in a little hot oil until they are well colored on all sides. Drain on a paper towel.
- In the bottom of a large soup kettle or dutch oven, heat 2 tbsp of olive oil and saute the garlic and the onion slowly until they begin to disintegrate. Do not let them brown or burn. You may need to add a tsp of stock as they cook.
- Sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and stir continuously as you make the roux. Stir until the flour turns a light brown. Pour the boiling beef stock into the kettle and bring to a boil, stirring to blend well.
- Add the pasta and the spinach and simmer until the pasta is tender. Adjust the seasonings. Return the meatballs to the soup and heat through. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!