Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
Italian Vegetable Bake (from Sparkpeople website) Serves: 18 This colorful, low-sodium, and cholesterol-free vegetable dish is prepared without any added fat.
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh green beans, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh okra, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (or 3/4 cup (1/2 of a 10 oz. package)
- 3⁄4 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 teaspoon dried basil, crushed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves, chopped (or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed)
- 3 zucchini, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium eggplant, pared and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Drain and coarsely chop tomatoes. Save liquid.
- Mix together tomatoes and reserved liquid, onion, green beans, okra, green pepper, lemon juice, and herbs.
- Cover and bake at 325ºF for 15 minutes.
- Mix in zucchini and eggplant and continue baking, covered, 60-70 more minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle top with parmesan cheese just before serving.