1/2 Photos of Italian-Style Pepperoni and Spinach Soup With Meatballs
2 hrs 25 mins
This is actually a meal on it's own, if you love pasta sauce and meatballs, you will love this soup! use your own favorite meatball recipe or use my Kittencal's Italian Melt-In-Your-Mouth Meatballs. This soup will increase in flavor if left overnight in the fridge, so it is best if prepared a day ahead, all ingredient amounts may be adjusted to taste, serve this delicious soup with garlic bread, crusty buns or crostini :)
My Private Note
cups (a ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground beef (shaped in tiny meatballs)
- 1 1/2 cups spicy pepperoni, chopped or 1 1/2 cups turkey pepperoni
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon dried chili pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 -2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 3 -5 cups chicken broth (use less amount of broth for a thicker soup)
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach
- seasoning salt (or use white salt to taste)
- black pepper (lots!)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional or to taste)
- cooked spaghetti (broken into small pieces or use other pasta)
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1Shape the ground beef into tiny meatballs using you favorite recipe.
- 2Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat; brown the meatballs with pepperoni until browned (the meatballs do not have to cook completely) remove to a bowl.
- 3Add in sliced mushrooms, onion, garlic, green bell pepper, chili flakes, basil and oregano; sauté for about 3-4 minutes.
- 4Add in the tomato paste and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- 5Add in the undiluted soup, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and chopped spinach, then add in the meatballs and pepperoni back to the pot; bring to a boil, season with seasoned salt, lots black pepper and sugar (if using).
- 6Reduce heat and simmer covered for about 2 hours or less (uncover and simmer the last 30 minutes of cooking, the soup will thicken more if simmer uncovered for a longer time!).
- 7Add in the cooked spaghetti.
- 8Ladle into bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese, serve with garlic bread or crostini on the side.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian-Style Pepperoni and Spinach Soup With Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (3420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 298.0
- Calories from Fat 173
- Total Fat 19.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.1 g
- Cholesterol 53.9 mg
- Sodium 904.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 18.4 g