Recipe by **Pebbles**
From Rachel Ray's Get Together cookbook. Very hearty and a wonderful taste.
Top Review by rickoholic83
I took this great recipe and made some modifications. I used 2 lbs hot pork sausage, an 8 oz. container of sliced white mushrooms, 4 T flour, doubled the chicken stock and cream and used 2 cans of Italian-style diced tomatoes. This is one of my most requested recipes! Edit to add: I first made this recipe four years ago and definitely need to up the stars. I often make food as presents. When I ask my friends what they want for Christmas, they say Italian Mac N Cheese. When I ask them what they want for their birthday, they say Italian Mac N Cheese. It goes on and on! Thanks for sharing this GREAT recipe, Pebbles!
- 453.59 g ziti pasta or 453.59 g penne
- 453.59 g italian bulk sweet sausage
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 4 clove garlic, chopped
- 12 mushrooms, sliced
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 591.47 ml shredded Italian cheese blend
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 4.92 ml hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Brown and crumble the sausage.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Return pan to heat and add olive oil, butter, garlic and mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute 3 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- To mushrooms, add flour and stir, cooking 2 mnutes.
- Whisk in stock, then stir in cream.
- Bring cream to a buble, then stir in two cups of 4 cheese blend.
- When cheese has melted, add tomatoes.
- When sauce comes to a buble, remove from head and adjust seasonings, adding hot sauce if desired.
- Combine cheese sauce with sausage and pasta, transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinklge remaining 1/2 cup 4 cheese blend and the grated Parmesan over the top and brown under hot broiler.