Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Rachel Ray's Get Together cookbook. Very hearty and a wonderful taste.
- 453.59 g ziti pasta or 453.59 g penne
- 453.59 g italian bulk sweet sausage
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml butter
- 4 clove garlic, chopped
- 12 mushrooms, sliced
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 591.47 ml shredded Italian cheese blend
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes, well drained
- 4.92 ml hot sauce (like Tabasco)
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions.
- Brown and crumble the sausage.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Return pan to heat and add olive oil, butter, garlic and mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute 3 to 5 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- To mushrooms, add flour and stir, cooking 2 mnutes.
- Whisk in stock, then stir in cream.
- Bring cream to a buble, then stir in two cups of 4 cheese blend.
- When cheese has melted, add tomatoes.
- When sauce comes to a buble, remove from head and adjust seasonings, adding hot sauce if desired.
- Combine cheese sauce with sausage and pasta, transfer to a baking dish.
- Sprinklge remaining 1/2 cup 4 cheese blend and the grated Parmesan over the top and brown under hot broiler.
I took this great recipe and made some modifications. I used 2 lbs hot pork sausage, an 8 oz. container of sliced white mushrooms, 4 T flour, doubled the chicken stock and cream and used 2 cans of Italian-style diced tomatoes. This is one of my most requested recipes! Edit to add: I first made this recipe four years ago and definitely need to up the stars. I often make food as presents. When I ask my friends what they want for Christmas, they say Italian Mac N Cheese. When I ask them what they want for their birthday, they say Italian Mac N Cheese. It goes on and on! Thanks for sharing this GREAT recipe, Pebbles!
Yummy! My husband who dislikes pasta even said it was good. I used mini penne pasta, omitted the sausage, and used water instead of chicken broth. Based on other reviews, I also added 1 tsp each of dried oregano and basil. I also added 1/2 tsp each of red chili powder and crushed red pepper flakes in lieu of the Tabasco. Next time I may increase the cream by 1/2 cup so it's more creamy, but other than that this was perfect. Thanks for a great recipe I'll be making again and again :)
(Update: Just wanted to add that I use fat-free half and half instead of heavy cream.) Really great recipe! Delicious and easy to make. My husband asked me if it took long to make, because it was really good!