OK, so there’s no hollandaise sauce or any kind of sauce on top of these eggs, but I think you get the idea, it’s Italian in flavor but eggs benedict in presentation. This is an example of me being bored on a Saturday afternoon and rummaging through the frig looking for ingredients to jazz up my lunch. This is what I came up with. It is also a great brunch item as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE BRUSCHETTA TOPPING
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium tomato, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup white onion, chopped fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
FOR THE EGGS
- 1Preheat the broiler on HIGH. Put an inch of water in a skillet, cover with a lid and put it on to boil. (keep an eye on the water).
- 2Take the English muffin, split it and put it in the toaster on a low setting, just to dry out the bread a little.
- 3In a cast iron or nonstick skillet, sauté the onion, garlic and tomato with salt and pepper, just until the onion has softened and you can smell the garlic. (2-3 minutes) Add the thyme, rosemary and parsley stir it around. Remove the mixture from the pan to a plate, divide the mixture into fourths for later on.
- 4Add the vinegar and salt to the pan of boiling water to poach the eggs.
- 5Gently slid the eggs out of their individual cups into the boiling water and cook through. I like my yokes nice and runny, if you like them this way, undercook them slightly, since everything is being trnsfered to the broiler later on.
- 6Put another teaspoon or so of olive oil into the skillet where you sautéed the bruschetta mixture. Take the English muffin toasts out of the toaster and place them in the oiled skillet. (Make sure that the heat under the skillet is at medium low.).
- 7Place the ham slices next to one another on the English muffin, two slices of ham per toast.
- 8Take the poached eggs out of the water and place one egg on top of each toast.
- 9Spoon half the bruschetta topping on top of each egg.
- 10Top each toast with a slice of mozzarella.
- 11Place the pan under the broiler to melt the cheese.
- 12Once the cheese has melted, spoon the remaining bruschetta topping onto the mozzarella, TURN OFF THE BROILER, put the pan back in the oven just until everything is warmed through.
- 13Serve hot (meaning serve it immediately) and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Style Eggs Benedict
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 569.5
- Calories from Fat 304
- Total Fat 33.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 437.7 mg
- Sodium 1877.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 24.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar