Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This tastes even better the next day and freezes well also --- serve this on cooked spaghetti with crusty bread on the side, all ground beef or Italian sausage meat may be used if desired --- plan ahead this sauce needs some time to cook, the longer you cook it the thicker and richer it will be, you may also make this in a crockpot --- the recipe may be doubled, adjust the chili powder and all ingredient amounts to taste, try not to omit the Italian pepperoni, it really adds extra flavor to this dish! :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried red chili pepper flakes (to taste) (optional)
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 (26 ounce) jar three-cheese pasta sauce (I use Classico brand four-cheese pasta sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth or 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3⁄4 lb button mushroom (or to taste)
- 2 -3 ounces italian pepperoni, diced
- 1 tablespoon beef bouillon powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon chili powder (can use more)
- 1 -2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- cooked spaghetti
- parmesan cheese (to taste)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add in ground beef, Italian sausage meat, onion, garlic, chili flakes and bell pepper; cook until the meat is browned breaking up meat with a spoon while cooking; drain fat.
- Add in spaghetti sauce, beef broth or water, tomatoes with juice, mushrooms, pepperoni, bouillon powder and chili powder and cumin; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally (add in a little more water or broth if the mixture is too thick).
- After 1 hour of cooking season with salt and pepper and add in kidney beans, continue cooking for 30 minutes more (or a little longer).
- At the end of cooking stir in the cheddar cheese or you may sprinkle on top in place of the Parmesan cheese.
- Ladle on top of cooked spaghetti, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese to taste.