Recipe by Starfire (aka Wendy)
At Olive Garden we are passionate about Italian cooking. We are pleased to share with you a collection of our Featured Recipes over the years that you can prepare at home—and share with your friends and family. Link: olivergarden.com
Top Review by Cook4_6
These were wonderful....however I took a shortcut and might modify slightly next time. I used Paul Newman's alfredo and added parsley and basil to it in place of the sauce. These were huge servings, so next time I think I would use the standard size stuffing mushroom instead of the jumbo portabellas. Overall, it was a bit salty, but that might have been the bottled alfredo. Thanks for posting!
- 4 large portabella mushrooms, stems & gills removed
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 cup garlic-flavored croutons, finely ground
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream (Sauce)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped or 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- CLEAN top of mushrooms with damp cloth. Place cleaned mushrooms on a sheet tray, stem side down. Bake at 350ºF for 5-8 minutes.
- REMOVE from oven until ready to stuff, in step 5 below.
- BROWN sausage in a nonstick skillet, crumbling sausage into small pieces. Once browned, drain fat and transfer to a paper towel to cool.
- BEAT eggs with milk in a medium bowl, then mix in parsley, basil, garlic, croutons, and Parmesan cheese.
- ADD cooled sausage and mix well -- mixture should be wet but firm and hold together easily.
- TOP pre-baked mushroom caps with sausage mixture and bake in 350ºF oven for 15 - 20 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- HEAT cream in sauce pan and lightly boil until half its original volume, being careful not to scorch. Mix in Parmesan cheese, basil, salt and pepper.
- SPOON 2 ounces of sauce over top of each mushroom.
- Garnish with a sprig of fresh Italian parsley or fresh basil and serve.