Recipe by bakedapple42
This recipe is my version of an Italian Salsiccia Minestra, or sausage soup. You can add or subtract ingredients according to what you have on hand. If you use linguica, kidney beans, and kale, it becomes Portugeuse Kale Soup. Buon mangiare!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped (leaves also)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large soup pot, cook italian sausage in olive oil on medium heat until cooked through. Remove sausage, cut it into cubes, & set aside.
- Saute onion and celery in same pot 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, saute 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, water, carrots, and potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage, italian sausage, and beans. Cook until cabbage is tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with italian bread and a good cheese.