This recipe is my version of an Italian Salsiccia Minestra, or sausage soup. You can add or subtract ingredients according to what you have on hand. If you use linguica, kidney beans, and kale, it becomes Portugeuse Kale Soup. Buon mangiare!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped (leaves also)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes, cubed
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 1 (16 ounce) can cannellini beans, drained
- salt & pepper
- 1In large soup pot, cook italian sausage in olive oil on medium heat until cooked through. Remove sausage, cut it into cubes, & set aside.
- 2Saute onion and celery in same pot 5 minutes.
- 3Add garlic, saute 3 minutes.
- 4Add chicken broth, water, carrots, and potatoes. Bring to a boil.
- 5Reduce heat to medium, cook until potatoes are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- 6Add cabbage, italian sausage, and beans. Cook until cabbage is tender.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 8Serve hot with italian bread and a good cheese.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Sausage and Cabbage Soup With White Beans
Serving Size: 1 (672 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 406.7
- Calories from Fat 112
- Total Fat 12.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Sodium 609.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 27.8 g