Recipe by Bec
A side dish from "Cooking a la Heart"- Delicious Heart Healthy Recipes from the Mankato Heart Health Program, 1988.
- 2⁄3 cup rice (or 2 cups leftover cooked rice)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (if using uncooked rice)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 6 ounces water (to make tomato sauce using the tomato paste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 cups low fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated part-skim mozzarella cheese or 1⁄2 cup farmer cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook rice in water.
- In a skillet, saute onion in butter or margarine.
- Add tomato paste, water, garlic powder, sugar, pepper, thyme, oregano and parsley to onion mixture.
- Combine cottage cheese and rice.
- Put 1/3 of rice mixture in non-stick sprayed casserole dish.
- Top with 1/3 of tomato sauce.
- Continue to alternate layers, ending with tomato sauce.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes or until it is hot and bubbly.