3 hrs 30 mins
A Better Homes and Gardens find.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 6 cups cold water
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 1 lb lean boneless pork, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (1/2 of a 6 oz. can)
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Rinse the beans, and drain.
- 2In a large saucepan combine the beans and the 6 cups of water, and bring to a boil.
- 3Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 10 minute.
- 4Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- 5Drain and rinse beans, then transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- 6In a large skillet cook the sausage over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Drain off the fat.
- 7Transfer the sausage to the slow cooker.
- 8In the same skillet cook the pork, half at a time, until pork is not longer pink. Drain off fat.
- 9Transfer pork to slow cooker.
- 10Add onion, carrots, and garlic to the slow cooker.
- 11Stir in the 3 cups of water, bouillon granules, thyme, and oregano.
- 12Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3 1/2-4 hours.
- 13If using low setting, turn slow cooker to high after the 7-8 hours.
- 14Stir the wine into the tomato paste and add the mixture to the slow cooker along with the parsley.
- 15Cover and cook for 15 min more.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Pork Stew
Serving Size: 1 (631 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 500.1
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 73.3 mg
- Sodium 577.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 36.5 g