Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A Better Homes and Gardens find.
Make and share this Italian Pork Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 6 cups cold water
- 8 ounces bulk Italian sausage
- 1 lb lean boneless pork, cut into cubes
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste (1/2 of a 6 oz. can)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Rinse the beans, and drain.
- In a large saucepan combine the beans and the 6 cups of water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook uncovered for 10 minute.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse beans, then transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker.
- In a large skillet cook the sausage over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Drain off the fat.
- Transfer the sausage to the slow cooker.
- In the same skillet cook the pork, half at a time, until pork is not longer pink. Drain off fat.
- Transfer pork to slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrots, and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Stir in the 3 cups of water, bouillon granules, thyme, and oregano.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3 1/2-4 hours.
- If using low setting, turn slow cooker to high after the 7-8 hours.
- Stir the wine into the tomato paste and add the mixture to the slow cooker along with the parsley.
- Cover and cook for 15 min more.