Comfort Italian Sausage Stew
Serve this with crusty rolls to soak up the sauce.
- Ready In:
- 8 ounces sweet Italian sausage links, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 cups cubed potatoes
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- In lg skillet over med heat, brown sausage.
- Add wine, oil, onions and garlic; cook 5 minutes.
- Add basil, oregano, red pepper flakes, both cans of tomatoes, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and salt.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I read the other reviews and added extra potatoes, but didn't have any other veggie on hand, so I stuck with the ones mentioned in the recipe. There wasn't much depth of flavor, even after I added chicken stock when I added the potatoes, but this IS a fantastic base. This is definitely something you want to build into your own dish - add veggies or whatever you usually add to other stews. Beans would be a good addition, but my bet would be kidney, not white. Also, serve it with crusty bread and it'll be much more satisfying
YUMMY! Super easy and so comforting! I added in some fresh tomatoes along with the diced and a small can of tomato soup since I didn't have stewed tomatoes. Also, I quickly cooked stelle (small star shaped pasta) in a cup of chicken broth and added that into the mix. It was hearty and moist. Thank you MizzNizz!