Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is a recipe I came up with after reading tips on how to make an authentic Italian pasta sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- minced garlic
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (I choose turkey Italian sausage as a low fat alternative) or 1 lb mild Italian sausage (I choose turkey Italian sausage as a low fat alternative)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup fresh Italian parsley
- 2 teaspoons dry oregano
- 2 teaspoons dry basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pinch white sugar
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup of your favorite dry red wine (Shiraz or Syrah pairs best with red pasta sauces)
- On a large skillet heat oil on medium high heat.
- Sauté the garlic and the onion until the garlic is golden brown and the onion is translucent.
- Add the meats to the oil mixture to brown them; drain.
- On a slow cooker, combine the meat mixture and the remaining ingredients and set in on low. Cook for 8-10 hours.
- If you're in a hurry you can follow the first 3 steps and simmer the ingredients on a sauce pan for one hour.