Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is the meat sauce I grew up eating. I now make it for my family, and it is great on any pasta, but we usually eat it on spaghetti. I usually double the recipe when I make it. It freezes well too for those that do OAMC.
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup parsley flakes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 cup water
- In large pan, cook onion, meat, and garlic in hot oil.
- Drain after meat is browned and return meat to pan.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer uncovered 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until sauce is thickened; stir occasionally.
- Remove bay leaf.
I make this without the meat and keep it on hand in the freezer. I use it for everything - pizza, calzones, chicken parm. I add the meat in later if needed. I usually put the ingredients in the crock and let it go all day (or all night) and then separate it into freezer bags. Because I cook it in the crock pot, I omit the water, and just as a matter of taste, I add 2 Tablespoons brown sugar to cut down on the acidity. DH says it is just like his mommy makes ;o)!