Recipe by Mimi in Maine
This is a recipe that is good for anything. Most recipes that takes a tomato base, will take this. Once it is made you can store it in the refrigerator and use it during the week.
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 quart chicken stock (could use beef)
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium minced onions
- 6 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (grated)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄2 lb chopped mushroom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon dry basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb skinless chicken
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot combine the tomato puree, paste, stock, and water; set aside.
- In a fry pan saute the oil, onion, garlic, and carrots.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and put them into the large pot.
- Simmer for 2 hours partly covered--stirring often.
- Remove chicken being careful to get all the bones out.
- Pick over the chicken meat and put back into the pot.
- Skim the fat.
- Store in refrigerator for various uses during the week.
- Freezes well.