Sausage Italian Gravy
photo by Marsha D.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- In a large saucepot over medium heat saute the onion in the olive oil.
- Add garlic and continue to saute.
- Add sausage meat and brown slightly on all sides.
- Drain off any fat.
- Add thyme, tomatoes, salt and pepper, and 2 tablespoons of the basil.
- When sauce is bubbly, reduce heat and cover.
- Cook for at least one hour.
- Add the remaining fresh basil leaves the last fifteen minutes.
- Serve on cooked soft or firm polenta with extra romano cheese sprinkled over the top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Absolutely delicious!! We loved this gravy. I used it for pizza sauce with recipe#131607. I added chopped pepperoni, sliced black olives and a few red pepper flakes on top of the sauce. I also used regular basil flakes cause I didn't have any fresh basil on hand. This is another "My Family's Favorite Zaar recipes" Easy to make and alittle spicy but so delicious :) Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.