Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
TRUE comfort food that’s easy, inexpensive and sure to please everyone. This is my Italian take on beef and bean casserole (thanks to the RSC ingredients). This recipe is ready in 30 minutes and the result is a creamy stew-like casserole with a biscuit topping. Feel free to make it as spicy as you like by using hot Italian Sausage or adding more red pepper flakes.
- 1⁄2 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1⁄2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 15 slices pepperoni, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (may add up to 1/4 cup if you like)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) can pork and beans in tomato sauce
- 1 cup garbanzo beans
- 1 cup lima beans
- 1 cup butter beans
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes (drained)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 (6 ounce) can refrigerated biscuits (10 per can)
- Brown sausage and onion in a pan for about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 more minute. (I used a low fat sausage, so I had no grease left in the pan…however if you DO have more than a tsp or so of grease in the bottom of the pan, go ahead and remove some of it.).
- Add the rest of the ingredients, stir, cover, lower heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes or until hot.
- In the meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the beans into a greased baking dish and then top with the biscuits.
- Bake casserole at 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes (until biscuits are cooked to your liking).
- Spoon the biscuit topped casserole into individual serving bowls and enjoy!