Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Here is a rice dish that is a little bit different. I got this recipe from Woman's World magazine. I haven't tried it yet but it sounds really good.
- 2 tablespoons sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1⁄2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- additional chopped red onion (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- In nonstick skillet over medium heat cook coconut, stirring, until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes; remove from heat.
- In pot melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic; cook until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add broth, 1/2 cup water, wine, bay leaf and salt; bring to boil.
- Stir in rice; return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low; cover.
- Simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, 20 minutes, adding peas during last 5 minutes of cooking time.
- Remove from heat; stir in cilantro.
- Transfer to serving dish; sprinkle with coconut and additional red onion and cilantro, if desired.
With all the onions, and hebs, etc, I'd expected more flavorful rice. This was kinda plain - tasted fine, but wasn't worth the extra effort. Sorry, Diane
I made this as a side dish for grilled salmon with pineapple salsa. It was really easy to make and very tasty. The only downside...the kids wouldn't eat it.