Nana Lee's Note:
Nice appetizer made from left over St. Paddy's Day ingredients. From Linda Larsen,Your Guide to Busy Cooks, in About.com. "I love this recipe for these individual little tarts. The creamy cheese, crisp-tender cabbage and sweet red onion blend so well with the corned beef and the flaky pastry. You can omit the corned beef entirely for a nice vegetarian entree."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 pastry recipe or 2 prepared pie crusts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup cooked cubed corned beef or 1/2 cup ham
- 1 cup cubed gruyere or 1 cup swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2Prepare pie crust and divide dough into four pieces.
- 3Roll out each between waxed paper into 7" rounds.
- 4*If using prepared crusts, first roll to square shape, then cut each in half.
- 5Fit each into a 4" tart ring, or simply put the crusts on two cookie sheets. Set aside.
- 6Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- 7Saute onion in olive oil in a large skillet until soft.
- 8Then add cabbage, vinegar, sugar, and 1/2 cup water.
- 9Cover pan and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until cabbage is soft and mixture is reduced and thickened, stirring occasionally.
- 10Divide half of the cabbage mixture evenly among the pastry circles.
- 12If you aren't using the tart rings, just mound the mixture in the center of the circles of pastry.
- 13Divide the corned beef evenly onto the cabbage mixture.
- 14Sprinkle with Gruyere cheese cubes and grated Parmesan cheese, and top with remaining cabbage mixture.
- 15Fold crust edges over the top of the cabbage mixture, pleating to form a ruffled edge.
- 16Bake tarts at 425º F for 20-30 minutes.
- 17Remove tart rings and serve.
- 19You could use red cabbage to add more color/interest to the tarts.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Corned Beef and Cabbage Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (225 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 244.3
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 35.2 mg
- Sodium 208.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 12.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: