photo by Caroline Cooks
- Ready In:
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 12 ounces bay scallops, thawed if frozen
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup fish stock or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 12 ounces corn, drained
- In large stockpot, cook bacon until crisp; remove from pan, drain on paper towels, crumble, and set aside.
- In drippings, place scallops and cook for 3-4 minutes until opaque (8-9 minutes for sea scallops).
- Remove scallops from pot and set aside.
- In drippings in pot, add onion, potatoes and celery and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add fish stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 8-10 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- In medium bowl, combine flour, marjoram, pepper, and milk and mix with wire whisk until blended.
- Add to pot along with drained corn and bring to a simmer.
- Cook over medium heat for 12 minutes, stirring often, until soup has thickened and vegetables are tender.
- Add cooked scallops and simmer for 3-4 minutes until scallops are thoroughly heated.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very very nice. I had to add a little extra seaoning and I also added half a finely chopped leek at the same time as the celery and potato. Next time, I'm going to trying missing out the bacon and siring in some finely chopped smoked salmon right at the end. I may also try it using dill instead of marjaram to give it a Scandanavian twist.
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Click to feed animals I'm a retired teacher now living in the Jamaica Plain area of Boston. I have one daughter, 2 granddaughters, and 1 great-grandson(17 yo Dec '11)! I've travelled a bit throughout Europe and the U.S. as well as Honduras and Costa Rica. I think I may have some gypsy ancestors! I love to travel but am not able to anymore. So I do a LOT of reading instead. My current craft passion is knittng but I have dabbled in just about everything. I've done leaded glass work(stained glass), which I love; am working on counted cross stitch; and am willing to try any craft, at least once! I've also worked for a major insurance company as a case analyst. I have 2 cats, Teddy BB 11 .o. on the 19th of Feb, and CiCi who will be 5 years old on Mar 6th. src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/orn.jpg></p>