Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
We like macaroni and cheese that doesn't taste like it came from a box.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot sauce, to taste
- 3 cups grated cheese, blend (I always use cheddar as the base)
- 2 cups dry macaroni noodles
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles until al dente.
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Stir in grated onion.
- Cook onion for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to cook out raw taste.
- Stir in prepared mustard until well blended.
- whisk in milk and stir until sauce begins to thicken.
- Add Worcestershire and hot sauces.
- Stir in cheese blend until smooth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in noodles.
- Pour into a prepared casserole dish and top with 1/4 cup cheddar cheese.
- Bake in 350 degree oven until bubbly, approximately 30 minutes.
- Makes 4 main dish servings or 8 sides.