Dads Favorite Mac and Cheese
photo by Chef shapeweaver
- Ready In:
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 cups of shredded cheese (I use cheddar swiss and Parmesan)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- breadcrumbs, if desired (optional)
- Cook pasta as per package directions.
- Combine butter and flour in a medium saucepan and melt on low to medium heat.
- Add half of the milk and cheese to saucepan and stir until melted.
- Add the rest of the milk and cheese to saucepan and stir until melted.
- Place pasta in baking dish and pour cheese sauce over pasta and then stir.
- Salt and pepper to taste and top with bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake uncovered for 30 mins at 350.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We have never had Mac and Cheese (it's not very common here in Europe) so I thought we would try this very American comfort food. It was simple and easy to make. For cheese I used Pecorino. <br/>Now don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the recipe, well written and with clear instructions, it's only that, this is not for our palate. I'm glad I tried it but I doubt if I would ever make it a second time. And again, it is not the recipe which is at fault, this is just not for us.<br/>Thanks for posting.
I chose this recipe as my DD loves Mac n' Cheese and this would be something simple that even she could make up quite easily...but also to use up some "its and bits" from my fridge. I had some Tostitos Salsa Con Questo sitting in the fridge, so I did add a large dallop to give the dish a bit of jazz....added about 1-1/2 cups cheddar to 1/2 cup parmesan cheese....had some half and half left, so finished that up with 1% milk...had made up some fresh bread so used the remains for bread crumbs, sauteed in a bit of butter. I served this with grilled chicken thighs (OMAC) and salad. This is comfort food at it's best...perfect for family setting but it's a little to casual (for me) to serve to company...hense the 4 star rating. Thanks for sharing!!
see 4 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/adoptedspring08.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket">