Recipe by Sue Lau
Very simple to make, with a curry sauce that is typical of southeast Asia. It is a little spicy, but if you like it more so, just increase the sambal oelek when preparing.
Top Review by Sueie
Used breast fillets. diced them and followed through until step No. 8, then put into oven proof dish and cooked in oven until tender, about 40 minutes. Really enjoyable, great blend of flavours, will be keeping this recipe for future use. Thanks.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken breasts
- 2 onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 almonds, blanched and peeled
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised and cut into 2 inch pieces (may sub 1 tbsp. lemon zest)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon hot chili sauce (I used sambal oelek)
- hot cooked rice (I like jasmine rice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown chicken in oil in skillet over med/high heat.
- Place chicken in crockpot with lemongrass (or lemon zest).
- Drain all oil except 1 tbsp from pan.
- Over medium heat, cook onions until soft.
- Add ginger, garlic, almonds, coriander, and turmeric, cooking until spices are fragrant.
- Stir in coconut milk.
- Pour mixture in food processor or blender and process until smooth.
- Pour puree over chicken in the crockpot.
- Cover crockpot and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Using a slotted spoon, gather lemongrass from crockpot, and discard.
- Stir together soy sauce, brown sugar, and sambal oelek in a small bowl and add to chicken.
- Serve chicken with steamed jasmine rice, if desired.