Recipe by dicentra
Cooking Light. May 2007.
Top Review by DinnerBelle
I loved finding an Indonesian recipe that can be made using ingredients readily available in the US- in fact, amazingly, all the necessary ingredients were in my pantry! Well, I used yellow onion for the shallots and a jalapeno for the serranos but close enough. The result was a wonderfully balanced warm and aromatic curry sauce, complemented very nicely by the rich, sweet rice. Couple notes: I used some (1T) of my lime's juice in the rice to balance the coconut flavor, and I found the beef to still be very tough after 35 minutes. I had leftovers which I kept simmering out of curiosity, after another hour, during which I added water twice, it was finally genuinely tender.
- cooking spray
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean top round beef, thinly sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 serrano chilies, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 cardamom pods, crushed
- 1 (3 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup organic vegetable broth (such as Swanson Certified Organic)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare curry, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat the pan with cooking spray. Place half of the beef in skillet; cook 1 minute on each side or until browned.
- Remove the beef from pan. Keep warm. Repeat process with the remaining beef.
- Lower heat to medium; add oil to pan. Add shallots, ginger, garlic, and chiles; cook 4 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in coriander and next 6 ingredients (through cinnamon); cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Return beef to pan. Add broth; bring to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until beef is tender.
- Uncover and cook 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Discard cinnamon stick; stir in juice.
- To prepare rice, bring 1 1/4 cups water and remaining ingredients to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat. Let stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork. Place 2/3 cup rice onto each of 6 plates; top each serving with 1/2 cup curry.