Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Quick and easy Indian rice
- 2 1⁄2 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno pepper, minced and seeded
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3⁄4 cup medium-grain white rice
- 1 cup green onion, sliced thinly
- Combine 2 cups vegetable broth, kidney beans, coconut milk, minced jalapño chili, thyme and allspice in heavy large saucepan. Bring mixture to boil over medium-high heat. Stir in rice. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer mixture uncovered until most of liquid is absorbed and rice is almost tender, stirring often, about 20 minutes.
- Mix 3/4 cup green onions into rice. Continue to simmer until rice is very tender and mixture is creamy, adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if mixture seems dry, about 5 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup green onions and serve.
This was OK, but the flavors seemed a bit "dull" until I added a splash of rice vinegar to perk it up. The vinegar addition was the only change I made. I used basmati rice and light coconut milk.