1/1 Photo of Indian Beef Stew
Last night I was hunting for the perfect recipe for a traditional Keralite(south-Indian)beef stew and I just could'nt find a "perfect" one anywhere on Zaar or on the food blogs I usually depend on...By the end of it all, I had read through sooo many versions of this recipe, this is what I finally created...DH(whoz very picky about authenticity) gave it two thumbs up!!! Traditionally it is served with Appams but it goes very well with regular white bread too..... [You may substitute beef with lamb/chicken as per preferance]
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb beef, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium-large potato, cubed
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 -6 big garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 inches ginger, finely chopped
- 8 small indian green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 12 curry leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 inch piece cinnamon stick
- 4 cloves
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/4 cups coconut milk (i use canned coconut milk)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1Marinate the beef cubes with salt,pepper,4 green chillies,garlic and half the quantity of chopped ginger for half an hour.
- 2Pressure cook the meat till tender with 1/4 cup water. Reduce the liquid till you get a thin film of gravy at the bottom of the cooker.
- 3Separately,boil the potato cubes with a pinch of salt,drain and set aside.
- 4Next,heat the oil in a pan and fry fennel seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, bay leaves and cloves for 30 seconds.
- 5Then add the onion, remaining green chillies and ginger alongwith 6 curry leaves. Saute till onion turns limp and translucent.
- 6Add the cooked beef (with remaining gravy),red chilli powder, turmeric powder and potatoes.Stir well.
- 7Then reduce heat to low and add half cup coconut milk diluted in 3/4 cup water and salt. Cover and cook for 15 minutes.
- 8Finally, increase to medium heat, add the remaining 1/2 cup coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- 9Add the rest of the curry leaves and cook on low heat till the gravy is not too runny.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (420 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 959.8
- Calories from Fat 496
- Total Fat 55.1 g
- Saturated Fat 43.6 g
- Cholesterol 131.9 mg
- Sodium 253.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.9 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 62.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: