Russian Cabbage Pies
photo by Elise and family
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Place 1 TBSP butter in a small dish. Set aside (somewhere warm) to soften.
- Measure flour into large bowl. Add sour cream, sugar, and salt. Beat egg and add. Add softened butter. Stir together thoroughly, adding flour if too sticky to make into a ball. Shape into a ball, and stick in the freezer for 1/2 hour.
- After happily washing up your dough-making mess (you have some time), prepare your cabbage. Put the cabbage in a medium pot with 2 TBSP butter, and cook on medium heat, stirring regularly, about 10 minutes or until tender. While cabbage cooks, boil water in another pot and cook a hardboiled egg.
- After 1/2 hour has passed and your dough ball is cold, stir the hardboiled egg (crumbled) and salt and sugar (to taste) to your pot of cabbage. Turn off the heat. Grease a large pan.
- Roll the dough out to about 3 mm thick, on a floured surface. Cut circles using a mug (or round cookie cutter). Place a spoonful of filling in each circle (one at a time). Pinch closed. Be patient! This takes some practise . . .
- Place dumplings in greased pan. Roll out leftover dough as needed until you've used it all up. (No need to re-refrigerate.).
- Put pan in the oven and cook 20-25 minutes, until fork comes out clean from dough. (This is when you get to clean the rest of the mess! :) ).
- Serve with sour cream, and hot sauce if you like. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Cooking should be easy and fun, in my opinion! And it's not only what you eat, but how you eat it . . . a peaceful meal eaten with a sense of gratitude will do wonders for the digestion. I cook for my family and we enjoy mainly organic, vegetarian dishes.