Hopkins County Stew #2
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 4 -5 lbs stewing chicken, cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 3 lbs canned tomatoes
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 -5 slices bacon, diced
- 6 -7 medium onions, chopped
- celery, chopped
- 24 ounces whole kernel corn
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- Fry the bacon in a large kettle; add butter and chicken and saute' until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer.
- When cooked indoors, cook for at least 4 hours, covering, stirring occasionally. After about 1 hour of cooking, Remove the chicken and bone it. Then dice the meat and return it to the kettle.
- Enough for 8 to 10 persons, depending on whether you are a thresher or a file clerk.
- For a large crowd, cook in an iron wash pot outside.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!