Prep 18 mins
Cook 30 mins
My 2 sons grew up on this casserole. Young children, especially like this. Not spicy, but creamy. The ingredients are usually in everyone's pantry, hence the title. LOL
- 1 (10 ounce) can cheese or 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 0.75 (10 ounce) can milk (use soup can) or 0.75 (10 ounce) can cream (use soup can)
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1 (7 ounce) envelope albacore tuna, in chunks (Star Kist)
- 1 cup buttery crackers or 1 cup corn flake crumbs, crushed
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed (optional)
- Cook and drain rice, according to instruction on package.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F degrees.
- In mixing bowl, combine soup and milk; add salt and pepper.
- Fold in tuna chunks and peas, if using.
- Lightly butter 1 ½ quart casserole.
- Layer half the rice in bottom of dish; add 1/2 of the tuna mixture; repeat layers.
- Combine the cracker/cornflake crumbs and butter until well-mixed.
- Spread over top of casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and topping is browned.
This went over great with my family. It was so easy my make that my 9 year old daughter made most of it with me. We changed it up a bit by using minute rice and on top we didn't have any corn flakes or crackers, so we tried a pouch of shakin bake. It turned out great!! We also used low fat cream of chicken soup, skim milk, and we didn't use any butter, so it ended up being quite a bit healthier than the nutrition facts listed. Definitely adding this one to our recipe list!!
This recipe is so great. I actually had every item in my pantry! Tastes great too!
Inexpensive quick meal. Doubled peas and tuna and added 1/4chopped onion. Topped with crushed croutons since I was out of corn flakes and crackers. Needs more flavor. I might add garlic next time. Thank you!