Cook2 hrs 30 mins
This is a healthy, whole grain, full of high fiber vegetable soup that is so delicious to boot! So pull up a chair and go crazee with me--over the soup of course! Great served with a nice crusty bread and a salad. Can be made in the Crock-Pot.
- 1⁄2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil or 1 -2 tablespoon margarine
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup chopped leek
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped (or carrots)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 7 cups vegetable broth, divided (or chicken broth)
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced (portobella or button)
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- parsley, chopped (to garnish)
- In a small bowl, cover dried porcini mushrooms with hot water. Let sit about 10 minutes, till mushrooms are soft. Drain, reserving soaking water. Chop mushrooms. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil(or margarine) and saute garlic and leeks over medium high heat about 4 minutes.
- Add parsnips and celery and saute 3 more minutes. Place leek/parsnip mixture into crockpot.
- Add the portobella(or button) mushrooms to skillet and saute about 4-5 minutes. Add to crockpot.
- Add 6 cups of the broth, lentils, barley, tomato paste, thyme, curry powder, bay leaf, and parsley to crockpot.
- Add sliced porcini mushrooms, along with soaking water to crock-pot.
- Cook on high 2-4 hours, until vegetables are nice and tender, and lentils and barley are cooked.
- Blend in the 1 cup remaining broth, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Remove bay leaf .
- Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with parsley and serve. Enjoy!