This is a refreshing crisp salad made with shredded iceberg, garden tomatoes, and scallions. Dressed with a spicy, smoky pepper dressing. This is a take off of a salad my DH ordered in a 5 star restaurant. He was surprised to see a salad made with iceberg. Something I don 't buy often.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 4 garden tomatoes, cut into large matchsticks (I used yellow and red you can use what you have)
- 4 -6 scallions, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley or 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1⁄2 lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 chili pepper, seeded (I used habanaro, you can use seeds if you dare!)
- 1 whole chipotle chile in adobo
- Place all dressing ingredients into blender and blend till smooth.
- Toss all salad ingredients together add dressing and serve.
This was a delightful side dish to shrimp fajitas. I did scale down the salad for just the two of use, but made the full recipe of the dressing. Now I have a great dressing for more salads this week. Thank you Rita for sharing the recipe.
What a great change for the usually mundane salad. I prepared it as posted but left out the chili pepper. It was still plenty hot and spicy but loved the contrast with the crisp iceburg lettuce. I let my guests add thier own dressing, not knowing if they liked spicy hot flavors. Turns out that everyone thought it was great. This will make a wonderful addition to wraps that I make for lunch!
We did love it! nice and spicy, left a nice tingle in the mouth and looked pretty too. Really liked the dressing, I served it separately because I wasn't sure how we would like it, didn't have to worry at all it was great! I was out of parsley and cilantro so left it out, used white wine vinegar and splenda with a jalepeno chili and the chipotle chili in adobo. I was actually looking for a full meal salad for a light supper, this sounded so good couldn't resist it, so added cooked chicken to it. It made a delicious supper!! we will make it again, thanks Rita for posting it.