Chopped Iceberg Wedge Salad (The Mermaid Oyster Bar)
photo by anniesnomsblog
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise (OK to sub light)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- kosher salt (I use seasoning salt or old bay seasoning)
- 6 thick strips smoked bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Make the dressing by whisking the mayo, ketchup, horseradish, Worcestershire sauce and salt to taste in a small bowl to smooth.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Roughly chop the lettuce, then toss with some of the dressing in a serving bowl. Top with the tomatoes and scallions.
- Scatter the bacon and cheese over the salad; season with pepper and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Serve with more dressing on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this for our Saturday night dinner (we had guests over). I did actually make true "wedges" out of the head of iceberg lettuce (6). I prepared the dressing accordingly, and put it into a creamer dish to serve around the table. I used very small crocks (with spoons) to put all the misc. toppings into, and put them all on a 'lazy susan' in the center of the table. That way everyone could assemble their own to their liking. It was such a nice change from not having just a plain old boring salad with bottled dressing and a very pretty presentation using actual "wedges" (restaurant looking), and I placed a wooden pepper mill on the table to really make it "gourmet". Thank you for posting your recipe. (Made for Name That Ingredient tag)