1/1 Photo of "i Yam What I Yam" Muffins
These muffins may have slightly different ingredients but the end result is a wonderful rich, moist muffin. The sugar sprinkled on top before cooking gives a slightly sweet crunch and cracked glazed appearance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup sorghum
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cooked yam, cooled and mashed
- 2/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 -3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Spray muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- 3Place the raisins in a small bowl and pour the 1/4 cup boiling water over them.
- 4Cover and set aside while preparing batter.
- 5Combine the flours, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, baking soda, and salt.
- 6Lightly beat eggs with sorghum, oil, mashed yams and orange juice.
- 7Add the egg mixture and buttermilk alternately to the dry ingredients, stir until well blended.
- 8Drain the raisins and add to batter along with orange peel.
- 9Spoon batter into prepared muffin tins, sprinkle 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of granulated sugar over each muffin.
- 10Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Muffins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Muffins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "i Yam What I Yam" Muffins
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.8
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 35.7 mg
- Sodium 250.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 4.4 g