This sweet treat sounds so good, and hot fudge sauce makes everything better! :D
Make and share this Hot Fudge Ice Cream Sundae Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) duncan hines moist deluxe dark fudge cake mix
- 1⁄2 gallon brick vanilla ice cream
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 4 (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- whipped cream, and
- maraschino cherry (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and grease & flour a 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Prepare, bake, and cool the cake following the package directions.
- Remove cake from pan, and split cake in half horizontally.
- Place bottom layer back in pan.
- Cut ice cream into even slices and place evenly over bottom cake layer. (Use all the ice cream).
- Place remaining cake layer over ice cream.
- Cover and freeze.
- For Fudge Sauce:.
- Combine evaporated milk and sugar in medium saucepan,.
- Cook, stirring constantly, on medium heat until mixture comes to a rolling boil.
- Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Add unsweetened chocolate and stir until melted; beat over medium heat until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Cut cake into squares.
- For each serving place a cake square on plate and spoon hot fudge sauce on top. Garnish with whipped cream and a cherry.
This is a delicious cake...perfect for a Birthday party! I used Wacky Chocolate Cake instead of the cake mix. I did have a little trouble with the fudge sauce...followed the directions exactly. But the chocolate didn't seem to completely melt and little specks of chocolate were just not mixing together. The mixture also seemed way too thin, even after completely cooling. So, I put the pan back on the stove, added about 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, and brought it to a boil again. After removing it from the heat, and cooling down a bit...it started to thicken up like a nice fudge sauce should. I wonder if next time I should melt the chocolate first, then add it to the milk mixture? Will be making this again for sure...thanks!
This is like a great big ice cream sandwich :-)!! When the rich,dark sauce is added,it is pure heaven. I had to hurry and get rid of it b/c I found my daughter LITERALLY licking her 2nd plateful!! Thank you so much! Will be made again & again!