Prep 0 mins
Cook 5 mins
From Quick and Simple magazine September 2005. I replaced olive oil with grapeseed oil.
- 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, plus
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coarse grain brown mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely minced
- 2 lbs collard greens, washed, dried and cut horizontally into 3/4-inch strips (roughly 16 cups)
- 4 slices cooked bacon, chopped into small pieces
- Cook the bacon on medium heat until crisp and set aside to drain on paper towel. Drain off all the bacon fat from the pan. If you wish you can reserve 1 teaspoon of the bacon fat for frying, compensating by reducing the grapeseed oil amount.
- In a small glass bowl combine 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, salt, black pepper and sugar. Set aside.
- In the same pan that you cooked the bacon in, heat up 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil (or bacon fat) over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and the collard greens, saute until tender, about 4-5 minutes, depending on your stove. Add the vinegar/mustard mixture and toss to distribute the ingredients well.
- Transfer collard greens to serving dish and top with the chopped bacon.
- Serve hot.