Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
If you like bean salad, you should like this dish. It is from a Pillsbury cookbook I got when I was first married. My family does not care for kidney beans, so I use 2 cans of green beans with the wax beans.
- 3 -4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2⁄3 cup vinegar
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (1 lb) can green beans, drained
- 1 (1 lb) can wax bean, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- Fry bacon until crisp; remove bacon and drain on paper towel.
- To drippings, add sugar and cornstarch.
- Blend well.
- Stir in salt, pepper and vinegar.
- Heat until mixture boils and thickens.
- Stir in onion and drained beans.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 20-25 minutes,stirring occasionally.
- Serve with bacon crumbled over top.
this is pretty good.... i didn't have wax beans or green beans so i used great northern beans instead and it was surprisingly sweet and nice.