Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
A recipe that I received in an edition of Rachel Ray's magazine. A wonderful way to make Shepherd's pie that gets everything put together quickly.
- 5 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lbs ground sirloin
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 -3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Place the potatoes in large pot of cold water and bring to boil. Salt water, lower heat, and simmer until fork tender, about 15 minutes.
- Drain, mash with milk until smooth.
- Stir in egg and horseradish and season with salt and pepper.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add veggies and bay leaf.
- Season with salt and pepper. Cook 8-10 minutes.
- Crumble beef into pan and cook for about 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour on top and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Stir in beef broth and cook for 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- Season with worcestershire sauce and plenty of salt and pepper.
- Discard bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 450. Grease medium casserole dish and add meat mixture and top with potatoes.
- Bake until golden, about 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle chives on top.
This is the only way that I will be making Shepherd's Pie from now on! To make it easier I bought OreIda's Ready to Mash frozen potatoes. The only change I may make in the future is to add some peas for extra nourishment. This was outstanding as is though!
recipe is poorly written - forgot the "Stir in beef broth..." on the ingredients list. Also things like 2 carrots or 3 parsnips are too vague.
my family loves this even MORE than the "normal" version of shepherds pie!!! I also have the RR magazine with this recipe in it, and have made it MANY times... THANKS for posting it!!!