Recipe by Luschka
Country Fair food and crafts. Cooking time does not include cooling time. This is another of my Christmas gift basket recipes.
Top Review by MissChief
Easy to make, yes. However, in getting it up to temperature, mine burned. It never even got to the posted temperature. Maybe my stove is too hot or my thermometer not very good, but this was one big fail for me.
- 250 g sugar
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 15 g butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Place sugar, golden syrup, vinegar and butter in a heavy-based saucepan and cook over a medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat and boil, without stirring, until mixture reaches the hard crack stage (When the syrup is dropped into iced water it separates into threads which become hard and brittle)or 150 degrees C on a sugar thermometer.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in bicarbonate of soda and continue stirring until mixture swells.
- Pour into a lightly oiled 23 cm square cake tin and when almost set, cut into squares.