Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Driving through Montana, I was awed by the wheat fields. I found this recipe by "Wheat Montana" to enjoy some of their gorgeous grain. This recipe has a nice lemony taste.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour (Wheat Montana Prairie Gold)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon lemon peel
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Measure all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Mix until just moistened.
- Line muffin tin with baking cups; fill 2/3's full. Bake for 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of the muffin tins.
- For Sunflower Muffins add 1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds.
- For Cheese Muffins omit the lemon peel and add 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
I tagged in Aussie Swap. I have the Montana Prairie Gold, but used their soft white (ground fresh). Batter looked too liquidy so I added 1/2 C extra flour, plus 1 C cheese (would use 2 next time). Usually whole wheat muffins don't rise, so I filled the tins full and got 10 muffins, baked in 20 minutes, plus they rose beautifully! They were a little too sweet, so will cut the honey next time. I also spray the muffin cups b4 putting batter in. Nice recipe. Thanks.