Healthy Honey Wheat Muffins
- Ready In:
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat milk
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened (original recipe called for low-fat margarine but I prefer butter for baking. Your choice.)
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 3 -4 shredded wheat biscuits, crumbled to make 3/4 cup
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (or chopped dried apricots)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly coat 6 muffin tin cups with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the milk, egg white, honey, butter or margarine and applesauce.
- In a medium bowl, combine crumbled cereal, flours, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add the liquid ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Add the raisins & stir gently.
- Spoon into muffin cups, 3/4 full or more.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until they test done. Don't overbake.
Join The Conversation
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hello from suburban Fort Worth, Texas! <br /> <br /><br /> <br />______________________________________________ <br /> <br /> <br />*My rating system defined* <br /> <br />Very few recipes really knock my socks off - I love to cook but am not a gourmet. <br />This said: <br /> <br />***** - met all my expectations in taste & appearance; directions were clear & easy to follow. <br /> <br />**** - fell slightly short of my expectations in taste or appearance or directions were faulty or not completely clear. <br /> <br />*** - mediocre taste and/or appearance; most likely a recipe that I would not use again without much modification. <br /> <br />** - taste and/or appearance was not to my liking; a recipe that I would not attempt to modify or use again. <br /> <br />* - taste was absolutely not to my liking (I can't imagine ever using this rating as I can generally tell by the ingredients if I will enjoy the finished product or not) <br /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/chefbanner1.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /> <br /><img src=http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j44/scmurray51/hagshat.jpg alt= /> <br /> <br /><br /> </p>