Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was given to me by a dear friend. It is very easy to make and higher in fiber than most cakes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 13 x 9 x 2 inch non-stick cake pan with cooking spray.
- Pour boiling water over oats and 1/2 cup butter and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Mix together the honey, eggs and vanilla.
- Add to oatmeal mixture.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add to other ingredients.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in pan.
SO excited to find this simple & relatively healthy recipe! I needed a honey cake, but don't like the ones with tea, coffee, or orange juice. Other recipes call for 1/4c of honey....please! Made this one just as directed and MAN is it GOOD! Moist and I can taste the honey! This is my new honey cake keeper recipe. Thanks for sharing! **Must add - after one bite my husband told me I'd better freeze in single-serving portions before he ate the whole cake right out of the pan! 09/27 - Made again & added 2T of WW flour plus 1/4t of cloves. Improved texture & taste...mmmmmm.....
I halved the recipe and made the following substitutions: 1) cold-pressed canola oil instead of butter, 2) two parts date honey and one part apple sauce instead of honey. The result was no doubt much less rich than the original, but the taste was still great and the texture simply perfect. This is a keeper!
Made this for my 2-year-old's birthday because, in one of her favorite books, the hungry bear eats honey cakes. This cake was wonderful! My father-in-law, who has a pretty traditional, Southern palate, had seconds! With the raisins that I added, it reminded all of us of a moist carrot cake. I used whole wheat pastry flour (it's lighter than regular whole wheat flour), only 1 cup of honey and 1 cup of unsweetened applesauce. It was plenty sweet! Since it was a birthday cake, I topped it with homemade whipped cream frosting. Yummy! Will make this one again!