1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I have been baking this honey cake for Rosh Hashana forever and ever. In fact, this is the 21st year I'm using the recipe. It makes a moist, dense honey cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 2Get a baking pan with a 7 cup capacity.
- 3Grease lightly and set it aside.
- 4Prepare a strong cup of coffee with the hot water and the instant coffee.
- 6Separate the eggs.
- 7Put the yolks into a big mixing bowl and the whites into a medium one.
- 8Beat the yolks with the sugar until creamy.
- 9Add the oil, then the honey, beating after each addition.
- 10Beat until the mixture is totally smooth and creamy.
- 11Sift the flour and measure off 3 cups.
- 12Combine the flour with the salt, baking powder, baking soda and the spices.
- 13Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture alternately with the coffee, stirring with a spatula or a wooden spoon.
- 14Do NOT use and electric mixer for this one.
- 15Stir only until all the ingredients are well blended, do not overmix.
- 16Clean and dry the mixer beaters.
- 17Whip the egg whites until they are stiff and can hold their shape.
- 18Add one third of the beaten whites at a time to the batter.
- 19Fold in gently until the batter is smooth.
- 20Don't overbeat the whites or you will end up with little islands of egg white that will never be blended into the batter.
- 21Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 80 to 90 minutes.
- 22The cake is done when a toothpick comes out dry and clean.
- 23This cake keeps really well.
- 24In fact, it gets better with a little aging, so bake it several days ahead.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Honey Cake for Rosh Hashana
Serving Size: 1 (87 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 245.9
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 216.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 26.9 g
- Protein 4.1 g