Recipe by Mirj
I have been baking this honey cake for Rosh Hashana forever and ever. In fact, this is the 21st year I'm using the recipe. It makes a moist, dense honey cake.
Top Review by KitchenManiac
This was a wonderful cake. Was curious what a jewish new year cake taste like, so I just HAD to make it. And no regrets. i followed the recipe to the T, not changing a thing. The honey taste gave it a very distinct taste, and it blended very well with the spices. And the honey also gave it a very nice golden colour. This looked as good as it tasted! Thanks Mirj!
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup honey (about 12 ounces)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (not olive, use soy or canola)
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 teaspoons instant coffee
- 1 cup hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Get a baking pan with a 7 cup capacity.
- Grease lightly and set it aside.
- Prepare a strong cup of coffee with the hot water and the instant coffee.
- Separate the eggs.
- Put the yolks into a big mixing bowl and the whites into a medium one.
- Beat the yolks with the sugar until creamy.
- Add the oil, then the honey, beating after each addition.
- Beat until the mixture is totally smooth and creamy.
- Sift the flour and measure off 3 cups.
- Combine the flour with the salt, baking powder, baking soda and the spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture alternately with the coffee, stirring with a spatula or a wooden spoon.
- Do NOT use and electric mixer for this one.
- Stir only until all the ingredients are well blended, do not overmix.
- Clean and dry the mixer beaters.
- Whip the egg whites until they are stiff and can hold their shape.
- Add one third of the beaten whites at a time to the batter.
- Fold in gently until the batter is smooth.
- Don't overbeat the whites or you will end up with little islands of egg white that will never be blended into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the greased pan and bake in the preheated oven for about 80 to 90 minutes.
- The cake is done when a toothpick comes out dry and clean.
- This cake keeps really well.
- In fact, it gets better with a little aging, so bake it several days ahead.