Recipe by Vino Girl
From Cooking Light, August 2006.
Top Review by VegSocialWorker
These turned out pretty good, though I thought that the patties needed more seasoning or something. Having said that, all together this makes a great burger! The patties are easy to make and they hold up well when cooked. I love the chilis in this, and also added sliced tomatoes and some avocado. Made my own whole wheat buns. Served with a side of roasted Ukon gold taters with garlic. Yumm, thanks for posting this!
- 2 poblano chiles
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3⁄4 cup masa harina, divided or 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium salsa
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- ROAST CHILES: Preheat broiler.
- Place chiles on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 3 inches from heat 8 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning after 6 minutes.
- Place in a heavy-duty plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes.
- Peel and discard skins. Cut each chile lengthwise into 4 strips; discard seeds.
- MAKE BURGERS: Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray.
- Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes.
- Place onion mixture, salt, beans, and hominy in a food processor; pulse until coarsely ground.
- Combine bean mixture and 1/2 cup masa in a medium bowl.
- Divide bean mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping each into a 1/2-inch-thick patty.
- Place remaining 1/4 cup masa in a shallow dish; dredge patties in masa.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add patties to pan; cook 4 minutes.
- Turn patties over. Top each patty with 3 tablespoons cheese; cook 4 minutes.
- Combine sour cream and salsa in a small bowl.
- Spread 1 tablespoon sour cream mixture on top half of each bun.
- Place patties on bottom halves of buns; top each serving with 2 pepper strips.
- Cover with tops of buns.