Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
My recipe for a delicious fresh ranch dressing for salads and appetizers.
Make and share this Homestyle Ranch Dressing recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 1⁄2 cups mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sour pickle juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet pickle juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons celery salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- NOTE: THIS DRESSING HAS A MEDIUM THICKNESS AND VISCOSITY. FOR THICKER DRESSING, REPLACE A PORTION OF BUTTERMILK WITH EQUAL PORTIONS OF MAYONNAISE AND SOUR CREAM. FOR THINNER DRESSING, REPLACE EQUAL PORTIONS OF MAYONNAISE AND SOUR CREAM WITH A PORTION OF BUTTERMILK. THE FLAVOR BALANCE OF THIS DRESSING IS ENHANCED BY SOUR PICKLE JUICE PAIRED WITH SWEET PICKLE JUICE. DO NOT SUBSTITUTE OR ELIMINATE THESE TWO INGREDIENTS. IF USING FRESH MASHED GARLIC AND ONION IN PLACE OF GARLIC POWDER AND ONION POWDER, USE EACH SPARINGLY AND GRADUALLY USING A GARLIC PRESS, TESTING FLAVOR OFTEN. FRESH HERBS ARE GOOD IF DRESSING IS CONSUMED WITHIN 3 DAYS.
- WHISK the DRESSING ingredients in a medium bowl until emulsified.
- ADD the HERBS and mix well; ADJUST seasonings to personal taste (a pinch of sea salt, celery salt or fresh ground black pepper).
- REFRIGERATE for an hour to meld and thicken before using.
- TRANSFER dressing into sealed container(s) and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- SERVE and enjoy with your favorite salads or appetizers!