Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
I have been wanting to try a Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe for some time now! I received this Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine months ago and to be perfectly honest with you, it intimidated me a little bit. The idea of making ice cream at home sounded like a daunting task, but that couldn't be further from the truth! I finally decided to try out my new machine to make some Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream and it was amazing! You don't realize how much better homemade tastes until you have tried it yourself. Plus, there is the added benefit of knowing exactly what ingredients you are giving your family. That's right, we can actually pronounce them all too. ;) The best testimony I can give you is from my son who does NOT like strawberries. He could not get enough of this ice cream. He didn't even seem to mind the fact that there were strawberries in it at all! Tip: The recipe calls for pureeing only half of the strawberries, but after putting in in the freezer a day we all agreed that the strawberry chunks weren't great. So next time I will puree all of the strawberries for a more creamy consistency.
- 3 cups fresh ripe strawberries, stemmed and sliced
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk (I used skim because it is what we had on hand)
- 2 3⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine strawberries, lemon juice, and 1/2 cup of sugar in a bowl and stir. Allow to sit for up to 2 hours.
- Strain berries and reserve the juices.
- Puree half the berries.
- In a medium bowl mix milk and remaining sugar until sugar is dissolved. Stir in heavy cream, leftover juice from the berry mixture, vanilla, and mashed strawberries.
- Turn on Cuisinart Ice Cream Machine and pour mixture into the frozen freezer bowl for about 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the strawberries and mix for another 5 minutes.
- The ice cream will be very soft and creamy. We transferred ours to a container and stuck it in the freezer for about an hour to thicken it up a little the way we like it.
- I am looking forward to trying out some other new ice cream recipes now that I see just how easy it is to do! In fact, I have a container of blueberries in the kitchen that I think would be great in ice cream too!