Homemade Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
photo by Boomette
- Ready In:
- 2 cups nonfat milk or 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 drops green food coloring (optional)
- 1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, stir together the milk, cream, sugar, salt, vanilla extract and peppermint extract until the sugar has dissolved.
- Color to your liking with the green food coloring.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker, and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- About 10 minutes into the freezing, add the chocolate chips.
- About 30 minutes later, after the ice cream has thickened, spoon into a container and freeze for 2 hours.
Questions & Replies
I'm guessing this makes a quart, though I don't see it stated anywhere. Only found one website so far that tells me how much there recipe makes. 8 servings doesn't mean a lot to me - what's a serving anyway. I have a 4 qt ice cream maker, and a greedy for homemade ice cream family. If I make 1 quart, well I did make 1 quart before and got chewed out and there was near bickering for the ice cream.
see 14 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I want to thank all of you who review the recipes I post - good or bad. It's always good to get feedback and helpful tips and I really appreciate them all! I try to send a note when someone reviews one of my recipes, but I don't always get the chance. Please know that I really enjoy reading the reviews. I also love all the photos everyone posts, too! Thanks so much. Happy Cooking!