Mint-Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
photo by LUv 2 BaKE
- Ready In:
- 1hr 50mins
- In a large saucepan stir together the sugar and gelatin.
- Stir in evaporated milk.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar and gelatin dissolve and mixture almost boils.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl slightly beat the egg white and egg.
- Stir about 1/2 cup of the hot gelatin mixture into the egg mixture; return all to saucepan.
- Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes more.
- Do not boil.
- Stir in the skim milk, creme de menthe or mint extract, and vanilla.
- Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
- If mixture isn't smooth, strain mixture.
- If desired, stir food colouring into mixture.
- Stir in chopped chocolate.
- Freeze mixture in a 4- or 5-quart ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's directions.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I am very impressed with this ice cream! I love how the egg is cooked, as I won't eat raw egg. I also loved how light is is...I didn't have to change a thing. Once recipe would be perfect for a 1 1/2 quart ice cream maker as it was slightly too much for my 1 quart. I used mint extract instead of creme de menthe, and used about 1 tsp of it instead of a few drops. The ice cream itself was nice and creamy and stayed somewhat soft in the freezer, although after a week it became a little more icy. A very good ice cream I will definitely be making again!! Thanks!