Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Scott Baird, the mixologist at 15 Romolo's recipe makes kahlua with more flavor, thicker and richer by adding dark rum to vodka or light rum as well as whole coffee beans before filtering. It takes a full 3 weeks so start now if its for christmas gifts :) He suggests using Pampero rum for the dark, but any good dark will do. Standing time of 3 weeks is not included
- 1 (750 ml) bottle vodka or 1 (750 ml) bottle white rum
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark rum
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 lb whole coffee beans
- 1 tablespoon cocoa, nib (optional)
- 1 vanilla bean
- cinnamon stick, slice of orange peel (optional)
- Combine all of the ingredients in a sealable container. Shake hard to combine.
- Label with the date and let sit in a cool, dark place for three weeks. Shake or stir the mixture several times a week.
- Strain through cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer into a clean vessel. Use like you would Kahlua or any other coffee liquor.